Short : HD Installer for Dizzy Prince of the Yolkfolk
Author: Bored Seal & DJ Mike (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Requires: WHDLoad 17, 512k chip mem
This patch applies to "Dizzy - Prince of the Yolkfolk" © 1992 Codemasters.
- Original release [SPS #1146]
- Original disk OR compatible disk image
- Slave requires WHDLoad 17+
- Game requires only 512k chip memory
(+ approx 300-400k other memory for preload option)
- Game loads entirely from HD
- Rob Northen Copylock protection removed
- IMP! decruncher moved to Fast RAM
- Music player fixed so it actually plays all the notes now
- Fixed invisible scoreboard if you press fire too quickly on title screen
- Illegal BPLCON2 access removed
- BPLCON0 access fixed
- Intro can be skipped with joystick button
- Trainer option (set CUSTOM1=1 for unlimited lives/energy)
- Exit at any time on ALL machines inc. 68000 with your default key
- Supports 2nd/blue button to jump (enable with CUSTOM2=1)
- Can also quit by holding both shoulder buttons + yellow on CD32 pads
- NI/ROM icon (created by JHZ)
- Source code included
Thanks to Moesy for disk image.
V1.0 (09-Aug-1999) - first public release
V1.1 (02-Sep-2001) - fixed BPLCON2 access, removed disk access, reduced RAM usage
V1.2 (12-Sep-2001) - trainer fixed (thanks Cryz for report)
V1.3 (16-Aug-2006) - fast mem usage, you can skip intro credits with joystick button now, bplcon0 access fixed
V1.4 (30-Apr-2012) - outro access fault fixed (game needed more expRAM), thanks to Solaris 104.
V2.0 (DJ Mike, 02.07.2021):
- Quit key now works on 68000 machines
- Reduced memory requirement to just 512kb chip (game only uses expansion memory for caching disk loads)
- Music player fixed - no longer constantly skips notes (happens due to a copperlist bug)
- Fixed invisible scoreboard if you pressed fire too quickly to start game
- 2nd button for jump supported, or blue on CD32 pads (toggle with CUSTOM2=1)
- Shoulder buttons + yellow quits on CD32 pads
- Tweaked bplcon2 fix
- Tweaked intro skipping with fire button (now skips intro in one go rather than quickly cycling screens)
- Updated to use modern WHDLoad functionality (e.g. named options in splash screen)
WORDS FROM DJ MIKE:
After I released my patch for Dizzy's Excellent Adventures, I promised I would go back and add my extra
fixes to this standalone install. That was 14 years ago. Whoops. :-)
To be fair, this time out I took a closer look at the music player and worked out a slightly nicer fix.
The player relies on two interrupts that are triggered from a copperlist on vpos $110 and $120, which
is the same as Magicland Dizzy. However POTY has this pretty sky effect that changes the background
colour every few lines all the way down the screen. By the time the music interrupts happen, the screen
refresh is well past the two lines we're supposed to wait for - so both interrupts fire at the same
time (and so the music player only gets one). Swapping a few copperlist entries does the trick nicely.
I also found and fixed another original game bug where pressing fire to start the game before the
screen has faded in results in an invisible scoreboard at the top. I guess it's only when I was
constantly retesting the game I even noticed it!
Finally I fixed up the quit key so it now works on all machines including 68000, and added support to
jump with the 2nd button, because I also don't like jumping with 'up' on pads. ;-)
This is one of the earliest games I ever beat in full without cheating, so it's nice spending time
giving it a few improvements. Hope you enjoy!
Greetings to Bored Seal (sorry it took so long for me to get round to this!), Wepl, Codetapper and
all the WHDL crew and community!
--- DJ Mike (02.07.2021)
Bug report form, full WHDLoad package and other installs: